Google Drive is one of the best cloud storage services available. But it can be frustrating when download errors show up. Here’s how you can Fix Google Docs Not Downloading Files Error it!
Several reasons can prevent you from downloading files from Google Docs. An older version of Chrome, improper file permissions or conflicting extensions is just a few of the reasons. Luckily, we have compiled a list of solutions that will help you fix this problem and be back to work in no time.
How to Fix Google Docs File Download Error
Here are some reasons why you can’t download files from Google Docs. Read the entire post to know why you are getting errors for this.
1. Ask for Approval
If you cannot upload a shared document, you may not be allowed to do so. If the download option is grayed out, you will need to ask the owner of the file to permit you.
2. Check the Version of Google Chrome
Usually Chrome updates in the background when you close and open it, but sometimes it can miss updates. Follow these steps to update Google Chrome:
- Look for the three dots icon in the upper right corner. If there is an update button, there is a pending update.
- If there’s no Update button, but you still want to check versions of Chrome, choose Help > About Google Chrome.
- If you see the message “Chrome is up to date,” there is no new update available.
Note: If you decide to update Chrome, save your current work, as Chrome will reopen the tabs but won’t save any data on them.
3. Use Incognito Mode
Sometimes faulty browser extensions or outdated caches prevent your browser from working properly. You can solve the problem by opening Chrome in Incognito mode. Open the three-dot menu in the upper right corner and select New Incognito Window, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N.
If you can download documents in Incognito mode, you’ll need to clear Google Chrome’s cache. Open the Chrome menu and go to Settings > Privacy & Security. There, select Clear browsing data to clear the entire cache.
4. Check Installed Extensions
If you are still unable to download Google Docs after deleting the cache data, you should check the list of installed extensions and remove any unnecessary extensions. Once you’ve removed all shady extensions, disable the others and re-enable them one by one, so you can identify the extension that’s causing you trouble.
If you are using an ad-blocking extension, it may prevent Google Docs from initiating the download. You can add Google Docs to the extension’s whitelist if you don’t want to deactivate the extension.
5. Allow Multiple Downloads
Google Chrome comes with a security measure that prevents you from downloading file after file. Here’s how you can change this setting:
- Open the Chrome menu and click on Settings.
- Scroll down to Privacy & Security and select Site Settings.
- Go to Additional Permissions > Automatic Downloads.
- Under Default behavior, check the option Sites can request to download multiple files automatically (recommended).
- Check the Don’t allow multiple files to be downloaded automatically section and make sure Google Drive isn’t added to the list.
6. Use the Save as PDF Option
If you don’t have time to configure Chrome’s settings, you can download Google Docs as PDF to your laptop or PC. From the File menu, select Print and set the destination to Save as PDF.
You can use additional options to choose whether you want to save all document pages, the number of pages per sheet, or configure margins.
You may not be able to upload large documents, so it’s a good idea to split them up by specifying the pages you want to save. After uploading them, you can assemble split PDFs.
7. Use another browser
Although Google Docs works best in Chrome, test if you can download Google Docs using a different browser. Resetting Chrome to its default settings may fix the Google Docs issue if it works. Here’s how to do it:
- Click the three-dot menu and choose Settings.
- Expand the Advanced menu and scroll down to Reset & Clear.
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults > Reset Settings.
Google Docs is a great tool for accessing and sharing work with others, so it can be frustrating when some of its features stop working. Luckily, our guide will walk you through the troubleshooting process.
To prevent this from happening again, especially when you are approaching the deadline, you can update Google Chrome and make sure all extensions are working properly. Keep posting your important feedback about the post in the comment box.